Friday, October 5, 2007

Jim's Work

As a teacher you encounter and interact with hundreds of students each day with complex and unique personalities. A student of mine named Jim (alias) is incredibly smart but his study habits leave a lot to be desired. Jim can ace difficult tests with ease but he finds it nearly impossible to turn in his homework on time. At open house Jim's father explained that he will study for a subject but cannot bring himself to actually complete work because he can't focus. For about two weeks now I have been hounding Jim to finish a Geography project to no avail. When I asked him why he hasn't turned it in yet he told me, "Mr. Clay... I just can't bring myself to do it, I got so many things running through my head at once, I don't know how to control it." How do you respond to that? I wanted to help him but I was clueless as to how. I told him that I would remind him every day until it was complete. The following day he comes into class and hands me a sketch of earth that was obviously created during Adisvory period (home room). We then began a conversation that went like this:

"Jim, this is your project?"
"I'm sorry my project is so crappy Mr. Clay."
"Try that again Jim."
"Sorry its so crappy."
"One more time without cussing."
"This is a really crappy project...crap ill try better next time."

Jim is now on a progress report; all of his homework assignments are checked and signed off by his parents before he turns them in. In the end I am glad that Jim cares about finishing his assignments and has the support to do so.

No comments: